Hogsmeade Butterbeer Snack Mix
As a Harry Potter fangirl, it’s always Harry season around here, but during September and October, I love to welcome fall by marathon watching all eight movies, drinking copious amounts of homemade Butterbeer, and playing Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans challenges. Since I’m a grown up who plays with her food, I took it upon myself to play around with a classic Muddy Buddies recipe to create a Harry Potter approved version that I call Butterbeer Snack Mix. Appropriately so, because it tastes like a Butterbeer in solid form. Sweet, deliciously so, and crunchy, satisfying the buttery-iest of cravings!
The first thing I do is measure out some Chex cereal into a large plastic bag.
In a medium glass bowl, I add some butterscotch chips, butter, vanilla paste, and butter flavoring and melt it all together over a medium pot of boiling water until smooth.
I add the butterscotch mixture to the plastic bag with the cereal and shake it gently to coat.
Then I add in some toffee bits and powdered sugar and shake it all again to coat.
Once the Butterbeer Snack Mix has cooled and set completely, I scoop it up into paper bags or beer mugs and serve it up for the next showing of Harry Potter movies.
My kiddos love it when I incorporate their favorite movies into a snack and I’m a sucker for a themed movie night, which makes this fun Butterbeer Snack Mix a favorite around here in October, when we watch the Harry Potter movies annually. It’s the very best way to welcome fall and Halloween.
- 8 cups Rice Chex Mix
- 1 bag (11 ounces) butterscotch chips
- 8 tablespoons butter, diced into small squares
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (or extract)
- 1 teaspoon imitation butter flavor
- 1/4 cup toffee bits
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Gold Digger sprinkles
- In a large paper bag, measure out cereal and set aside.
- In a medium glass bowl, add butterscotch chips, butter, vanilla paste, and butter flavoring.
- In a medium saucepan, add three cups of water and bring to a boil with glass bowl filled with butterscotch ingredients resting over the top.
- Stir constantly until butterscotch mixture is smooth.
- Add butter scotch mixture to paper bag and shake gently until cereal is coated.
- Add in powdered sugar and toffee bits and shake again until all cereal is coated.
- Spread mix over wax paper to cool and set.
- Serve in bowls or paper bags once cooled.
- Can be stored in plastic bags sealed shut at room temperature for approximately 2-4 days.