Creamy Lemon Bundt Cake
Making cake from scratch used to intimidate me to no end. And while boxed mix will always have a space in my pantry for quick fixes, there is no taste comparable to a from-scratch cake. And really, it’s not much harder than a boxed mix after all is said and done anyway. With summer in full swing in the desert, I thought I’d stop whining about the heat and start embracing what summer has to offer and here in SoCal, that’s loads of fresh lemons. My kiddos and I whipped up this Creamy Lemon Bundt Cake together Tuesday afternoon, creating quite the mess as we worked.
To start, we put some flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and whisked it all together; then set it aside.
I grabbed my stand mixer bowl and beat four eggs together until they were thickened and light yellow in color.
With the setting on low, I added some sugar slowly to the eggs and then let them beat together until it was light and fluffy.
Then I added some lemon zest, vanilla, and lemon juice.
I added the bowl of dry ingredients to the mixer, a little at a time, and let it all just combine.
In a small saucepan, I added milk and butter, whisking it together until the butter melted and ensuring it never came to a boil.
Once the butter was melted, I added it to the mixer and combined everything until a thin batter formed. I transferred the batter to a well-greased bundt cake pan and baked it at 350F degrees for 35 minutes.
Once the cake was cool enough for me to transfer out of the pan, I did just that. And then I moved on to toppings! For the glaze, I simply whisked together some powdered sugar with some lemon juice until it became a consistency I was satisfied with.
And for the zest topping, I added equal parts lemon zest and sugar together and combined them before sprinkling it over the glazed cake.
Of all the cakes I’ve ever made (and I’ve made many!), this Creamy Lemon Bundt Cake has been my favorite. From the bright lemon flavor in the cake, to the creamy sweet glaze, and the tart zest topping, it’s a flavor combination that perfectly satisfied my palate. And as a chocolate lover, that says a lot about this little ol’ lemon cake!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 10 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Lemon Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Lemon Zest Topping
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a separate, larger bowl, beat eggs on low until they are thick and light yellow.
- Slowly add sugar to egg mixture and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients on low speed until combined.
- In a saucepan, warm milk and butter over low heat until butter is just melted.
- Pour milk mixture into batter and mix until thin batter forms.
- Pour batter into well-greased bundt pan and bake at 350F degrees for 35 minutes.
- Once cake has cooled, remove from pan onto serving platter.
- In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Whisk together until desired consistency, adding more sugar or juice as needed.
- Pour glaze over cooled cake.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and zest together.
- Allow to sit to five minutes before sprinkling over glazed cake.