Easy Glazed Grapefruit Scones
With grapefruit in it’s prime from November through May, I just can’t seem to get enough of the ripe fruit. One of my favorite ways to enjoy it is cut in half with some honey drizzled over the top, but these Grapefruit Scones are so easy and delicious that they’re a close second. They’re perfect all by themselves, but dip them in tea and it’s just a perfect flavor symphony. Yes, a symphony friends.
Start with some flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and plenty of grapefruit zest. Place it all in a mixing bowl and combine until all the ingredients are incorporated.
Add in some cold butter and mix it together just until crumbly.
Add in some plain yogurt and some fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Using a spatula, mix it together until just barely combined.
Place the dough onto a prepared baking sheet and form a large disc using your hands until the dough is about one inch thick.
Cut the dough into eight wedges and space them out evenly over the baking sheet.
Bake in a 400F degree over for about ten minutes.
Once the scones have finished baking, remove them to cool.
As soon as the scones have cooled, make a simple glaze using powdered sugar and fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Add about a tablespoon of juice at a time until the glaze become the consistency you prefer.
Drizzle the glaze over the top of each scone.
From here you can enjoy immediately and you’ll want to. The temptation will be just too much to bear at this point, so dig in! If you have more self control than I do, go ahead and zest some more grapefruit over the top of the scones and serve them on a nice platter. Mine never make it that far, but you can give it a shot, ha!
These Simple Grapefruit Scones are a perfect treat to bring to a breakfast meeting, a brunch get together, or any function where you need to bring something to share. I love making these for women’s Bible study because my friends go crazy for these.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teapoon kosher salt
- zest from one grapefruit
- 5 tablespoons cold butter cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest to mixing bowl and stir until just combined.
- Add the butter and stir until mixture is crumbly. Using your hands is the best way to do this.
- Add juice and yogurt.
- Mix with a spatula until just combined.
- Transfer dough onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Form into circle that's about one inch thick.
- Cut into eight slices and arrange on cookie sheet.
- Bake in 400F degree oven for ten to eleven minutes until just starting to turn golden.
- Allow to cool completely before glazing.
- To make glaze, combine powdered sugar and grapefruit juice until desired consistency.
- Spoon over cooled scones and enjoy!