If December were a flavor, would it be eggnog or peppermint? I’m not sure I can decide. Instead of forcing myself to choose the ultimate holiday flavor, I’ve been making treats featuring both of the seasonal favorites. These Frosted Eggnog Cookies are a new addition to my annual baking frenzy and now that they’ve been added, there is no going back. These cookies will be making a regular appearance in my holiday baking for years to come.
I start by whisking together some flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. I set it aside while I mix together my wet ingredients.
In my stand mixer, I combine some butter, white sugar, and brown sugar together until it’s fluffy.
I add in a couple of egg yolks, one at a time.
Then I add in some vanilla extract, rum extract, and of course, some good ol’ fashioned eggnog.
Once all my wet ingredients are mixed together, I add in the bowl of dry ingredients that I whisked together earlier. I add it in a little at a time, allowing it to incorporate into the wet mixture slowly and evenly.
Once the dough has formed, I drop tablespoon sized spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. The cookies bake for about 10-12 minutes in a 350F oven before getting removed to cool.
Once the cookies have cooled completely, I whip up the frosting by creaming together some butter, eggnog, rum extract, and powdered sugar.
Each cookies gets a nice slather of the delicious frosting.
And as a final touch, I dust the cookies with some nutmeg just before serving a platter filled with the tasty treats to my friends and family.
These beautiful cookies are soft and chewy and topped with a frosting that’s filled with warm winter flavors. It’s like wrapping myself up in a warm Christmas blanket.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter, softened/room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1/2 cup butter, softened/room temperature
- 4 tablespoons eggnog
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon, set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar.
- Drop in egg yolks one at a time, mixing after each one.
- Add vanilla extract, rum extract, and eggnog.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Scoop dough out by the tablespoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven 10-12 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- In a stand mixer, combine butter, eggnog, rum extract, and powdered sugar.
- Add eggnog until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Frost cookies and garnish with additional nutmeg.