Guinness Cupcakes, #Cocktail2Cupcake
One of my favorite ways to put a spin on dessert is by incorporating a favorite cocktail. Champagne Cupcakes, Irish Cream Cake, Margarita Ice Cream? Yes to them all! My husband and I are beer lovers and we love to try craft and micro brews when we get some free time. One of our favorites around St. Patrick’s Day is, of course, a Guinness. Naturally, I had to find a way to incorporate the rich and creamy brew into a cupcake. A quick search turned up hundreds of recipes; I adapted a few of them into this ultimate recipe for Guinness Cupcakes.
In a saucepan over low heat, I whisked together some of the Guinness with some butter until the butter was melted. Does it get more glorious?
Next I whisked in some sugar and then some cocoa powder.
Once the sugar was completely dissolved into the chocolate mixture, I removed it from the heat and set it aside.
In a small bowl, I whisked together some flour and baking soda and set it aside as well.
In my stand mixer bowl, I added some sour cream, some vanilla, and a couple of eggs and beat them all together on low until just combined.
Next, I added in the chocolate mixture (ensuring it was warm to the touch – not hot!) a little at a time to the sour cream mixture until just combined.
Switching my speed up a little higher, I scooped in my flour mixture a little at a time until just combined into the chocolate.
The batter looks a little thin, but that’s perfectly normal. These will puff up into perfect cupcakes regardless.
Next, I scooped the batter into a tin lined with cupcake liners.
And baked it at 350F degrees for a little over 15 minutes.
Before frosting, I let the cupcakes cool completely.
And my trick to saving a little extra time is to just use a little store bought icing in a zip closure bag with the tip trimmed off.
To add a bit of extra St. Patrick’s Day love to the cupcakes, I topped off a few of the cupcakes with shamrock cookies, a few with green sprinkles, and a few more with a light dusting of cocoa powder.
These Guinness Cupcakes do not disappoint. The rich beer compliments the chocolate in a marriage that positively satisfies even the chocolat-iest of any cravings. Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with one (or a dozen!) of these tasty treats or bring them to your next potluck and have everyone asking for your secret!
Wayfair partnered with me and several other bloggers to bring you our favorite cocktails in cupcake form, so be sure to follow the hashtag #Cocktail2Cupcake for more boozy inspiration and cupcake creations.
- 1 cup Guinness
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt together butter and Guinness.
- Add cocoa powder and sugar and whisk together over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda; set aside.
- In a stand mixer, combine together sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until just combined.
- Add in chocolate mixture slowly, ensuring it is warm to the touch and not hot, until just combined.
- Add in flour mixture, a cup at a time until just combined.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin lines with cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.