Mummified French Bread Pizzas
Halloween is the best excuse to have fun with food. I love getting creative with treats and dinnertime in October. I love how excited it make my kids to see what creation I’ve come up with next. And I love the happy memories that are attached to them. This week, to welcome the spooky month of October, I created these fun Mummified French Bread Pizzas with my son and daughter. A simple but fun spin on our traditional pizza night was all it took to go from pizza pie to mummified.
I started with a loaf of french bread. I cut it in half long ways and then again in half to create four slices of bread.
Next I added sauce.
And then my toppings. Since I wanted to create the look of a mummy, the toppings went on before the cheese so I could wrap my mummy.
Then I added some mozzarella cheese slices. I was able to purchase it pre-sliced and then I cut it into thinner strips for a mummy gauze effect.
I added two olives for eyes.
And then sprinkled some Italian seasoning on top.
I helped my kids each create their own mummys and then we put them into a 400F degree oven for about 10 minutes. Enough to make sure the bread was toasted and the cheese was bubbly and starting to brown.
The result was incredible. The browned cheese looked like aged mummy gauze. The eyes popped out slightly making it look comically realistic. And the red pepperoni underneath looked like mummy guts. And yes, it tasted great too!
- one loaf french bread, cut into quarters
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- pepperonis, to taste
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese, cut into strips
- black olives (for eyes)
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Add sauce to each quarter of french bread.
- Add pepperoni and any additional desired toppings.
- Add mozzarella strips for gauze-like appearance.
- Add black olives for eyes.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake in a 400F degree oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese is bubbling and browning on edges.
- Remove and enjoy!