One Skillet Sausage & Rice, a Simple Weeknight Dinner
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #JustAddRice #CollectiveBias
With cooler weather upon us (yes, even us desert folk get cold weather), I’m in the process of ensuring our weekly meals are warm and comforting to satisfy our tummies. There is just something special about a hot meal on a cold evening that makes you feel comforted and happy from the inside out. I love making meals that are one pan or one skillet only because it allows me to spend less time in the kitchen and more time with my family around the dinner table discussing things like Minecraft and Jimmie Johnson #48, which are life’s biggest inspirations for my five year old.
This meal is a fall staple in my home and I can’t quite put my finger on why exactly, but my kids know that fall is in the air when they smell smoked turkey sausage and Uncle Ben’s® marrying together in the skillet. This recipe is easy to make and delicious thanks in part to the already seasoned rice and quick cooking rice.
We’ll start by drizzling a bit of olive oil in a large skillet and getting the sausage going. I prefer smoked turkey, but you can use whatever kind you like. Just slice it up into 1/2 inch slices and add it to the skillet. Once it’s nice and browned, remove it from the skillet and set it aside.
In the same skillet, add a little more olive oil and some chopped onion and chopped green bell pepper. The aroma of these two together on a skillet is just divine! You’ll cook these for several minutes and then add some minced garlic. Let it all simmer together for about a minute.
Next add in some vegetable broth and the Uncle Ben’s seasoning packets and bring it all to a boil.
Now you’ll add in your sausage and Uncle Ben’s® Long Grain & Wild Rice Fast Cook Recipe. I prefer this fast cook rice because it cuts down on cook time. On nights my boys have karate and aren’t home until after 6PM, this is such a convenient way to speed things up. I also use two boxes for this recipe because my kids just can’t get enough.
Give it all a good stir, lower the heat, and cover the skillet. Allow it all to cook for about five minutes. Once the rice is tender, you’re ready to serve.
You can get Uncle Ben’s® and everything else you need for this recipe, including the flavorful fresh produce, from your local Kroger Family Store (locate your nearest store here). This dish isn’t jut comforting and tasty, but also budget-friendly. You can add a side veggie, but when I make it, we typically just dole it out into bowls and eat it as-is.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package smoked turkey sausage (sliced into 1/2 inch slices)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups (boxes) Uncle Ben’s® Long Grain & Wild Rice Fast Cook Recipe
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sausage to skillet and cook until browned, stirring frequently.
- Remove sausages from skillet and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and stir in onions and green pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and continue to cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and sausage.
- Turn down heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for five minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir.
Check out other great flavors from Uncle Ben’s® for delicious recipe ideas. What’s your favorite flavor?