This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MyDollarGeneralWin #CollectiveBias
The tell tale signs are here: falling leaves, pumpkin spice lattes, decorative gourds galore, and football. Fall is here and I’m embracing every rust-colored moment of it. Fall means football season and the sound of referee whistles, crowds cheering, and announcers excitedly dictating every play fills my home. Our game day rituals are in full effect: team sweatshirts, a steady supply of Dr Pepper®, cozy socks, and lots of snack food. One of my favorites are these Easy Peasy Potato Skins that are a cinch to make and affordable to make, whether you have one or a dozen people over to watch the game. I start by slicing some potatoes up. I lay them flat on a baking sheet and brush both sides with some melted butter. Then I sprinkle some kosher salt and cracked black pepper over the potatoes.
I bake the potatoes in a 400F degree oven for about 40 minutes, pulling them out halfway through cooking to flip them over.
Next comes cheese; I heap on a small pile of cheese over every potato slice.
Then I add some bacon that I cooked earlier and diced into crumbles.
And then I add some freshly chopped green onion.
I pop the potatoes back into the oven, uncovered this time, for another three to five minutes until the cheese is bubbly. Once the cheese is bubbled to perfection, sorry I get passionate about my cheese, I pull them out of the oven and let them cook for a few minutes before serving them.
When I stock up for game day necessities like paper towels, chips, dip, (I’ve also been known to sneak a scented candle or two into the cart) and our family’s favorite: rich, indulgent, one of a kind Dr Pepper, I know I can count on Dollar General to have the essentials at a budget-friendly price.
- 4 potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons butter, melted
- kosher salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and diced or crumbled
- 3 green onions, diced
- Lay potato slices flat on baking dish and brush with melted butter, then flip and brush opposite sides with butter to coat.
- Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 400F degree oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top each potato slice with cheese, crumbled bacon, and green onion.
- Place back into oven for four minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.