Pumpkin Spice Scones, a Comforting Fall Recipe
I’ve been sitting on this scone recipe for weeks now and almost gave up on sharing it. But they’re just so dang good I knew I couldn’t abandon my plans and just put it off awhile longer until I had time to do a proper post devoted to the glory that are Pumpkin Spice Scones. What better time than the beginning of fall to share a comforting, satisfying, warm scone, right?
To start, you’ll combine some flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Next, cut in some butter until the mixture is a crumbly mess. You want the butter in pea-sized clumps. Once it’s there, stop.
In a separate bowl, mix together an egg yolk, some honey, and buttermilk.
Add to the dry ingredients and stir until it’s just barely combined.
Now add in pumpkin spice chips! I discovered the ones in this recipe by Nestle at my local Walmart.
Remove the dough and place into a floured surface.
Pat and roll the dough until you’ve formed a circle. You don’t need to knead or mix anything. Just sort of gently mold the dough together into a circle. Or close to it. My circle is pretty sad looking, but it works.
Roll it or pat it into about a half inch thickness. And then cut it in half.
Then in half again.
From here, you can cut it into as many slices as you’d like. I like to make them smaller, so I cut until it looks like this.
Transfer your sliced scones onto a greased baking sheet.
Bake them at 400F for 10 minutes.
You can enjoy these just as they are, but if you really want to experience a scone in all it’s glory, you’ll need a hot cup of coffee. PSL, anyone?
Friends, these scones are delicious. Enjoy them with coffee, tea, or even hot chocolate….who am I kidding, enjoy them by themselves even!
If you’re not a baker or don’t consider yourself a cook, a scone recipe is a good place to start. Scones are a forgiving recipe and succeed pretty much every single time.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup pumpkin spice chips
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly and butter is size of small peas.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg yolk, honey, and buttermilk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add one cup pumpkin spice chips and combine.
- Remove dough to floured surface and roll/pat into a circle shape that’s 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut circle to desired amount of scones.
- Transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake in 400F oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool 10-20 minutes before consumption.